How your business can save energy this summer
With summer upon us, now is the time for businesses to take steps to save energy before the temperature rises. Upgrading to high-efficiency cooling equipment and lighting are two ways businesses can use less energy and improve comfort this summer. Here are some specific tips to stay cool, save energy and keep energy costs under control.
- Upgrade air conditioning equipment with properly sized units that have a high energy efficiency ratio (EER)
- Replace old motors with properly sized premium efficiency motors that operate at a lower annual cost
- Install variable frequency drives (VFDs) on large motor loads to further reduce energy usage
- Upgrade old chillers with new, energy-efficient units
- Install an energy management system (EMS) that uses temperature set points and operating schedules to optimize climate control
Lighting & Lighting Controls
- Replace fluorescent lights that use magnetic ballasts with more efficient models using electronic ballasts
- Install automatic, occupancy sensor room-lighting controls to turn lights on or off depending on occupancy or time of day
- Change out incandescent or fluorescent exit signs with LED exit signs
- Turn off or dim electric lighting when adequate sunlight is available to illuminate interior space
If you’re planning on improving your building’s energy performance this summer, check to see what funding may be available in your area. In New York City and Westchester County, for example, commercial and industrial customers with a Con Edison electric or natural gas account may be eligible for the following incentives from Con Edison’s Commercial and Industrial Energy Efficiency Program:
- Payment of up to 50% of costs, with a cap of $67,000, for a Level 3 energy audit
- Rebates for high-efficiency electric and gas equipment including lighting fixtures and LED exit signs, packaged heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems, motors, chillers, and water and steam boilers
- Performance-based custom incentives for installing high-efficiency equipment or energy-saving solutions not eligible for equipment rebates
The Con Edison Green Team has an energy efficiency program available for almost every customer. To learn which program is right for you, call the Green Team at 1-877-860-6118 or visit www.conEd.com/greenteam.
The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author, David Pospisil is Program Manager of Con Edison’s Commercial & Industrial Energy Efficiency Program, New York, N.Y. You can join the discussion on LinkedIn (Con-Edison-Commercial-Industrial), Facebook (ConEd Green Team C&I), Twitter (ConEd Green Team C&I) and YouTube (ConEd Green Team C&I).